Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My problem with some shopping links

arob414 is offline Was able to finally get home and get in a quickie

And, everywhere I go, tonight, people are snapping and beating or banging or something and I am lost.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraLea View Post
    Please, when you figure it out, let me know.

Laura
    Finally, I have my problem fixed. I think. Apparently, some of the spyware I have used over the past year changed my "host" file and was blocking various sites that SR uses to collect their commissions. Those sites are not bad sites but they were still be blocked. I googled and googled. Several sites told me how to open my hosts file and make changes, but I couldn't find the exact texts that I needed to delete. However, the last site I found gave me another choice for making edits and it worked. I am pasting the instructions, you can use either:

Hosts File
    If you or another program (Usually Kazaa Lite) have added web sites to block by changing a special file called hosts, you may have blocked access to some servers we use to help you SAVE money.

Open 'My Computer' or 'Windows Explorer' then navigate to the following directory and filename:

Windows 95/98/ME: c:\windows\hosts
    Windows XP Home/Pro: c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    Windows NT or 2000: c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    Also, check: c:\windows\help or c:\winnt\help
    (Some spyware changes the default location to these locations.)
    1.Highlight the file, hit F2 to change its name from Hosts to Hosts.bak, then try the links again.

2.Alternately your can open the Hosts file with a text editor like Notepad. You can open the HOSTS file by right-clicking on hosts and selecting "open with". Then select Notepad.

Ensure the following lines are not present in the file by removing the entire line if present:

service.bfast.com
    click.linksynergy.com
    clickserve.cc-dt.com
    commission-junction.com
    cj.com
    www.qksrv.net
    www.kqzyfj.com
    www.tkqlhce.com
    www.jdoqocy.com
    www.dpbolvw.net
    Popup ads do not originate from these servers. These are gateways to major online stores to enable all discounts to load. A popup blocking program works better than playing with this file.

I kept trying to do the 2nd choice (that is the one that I found in several places) but the 1st was the easiest and it is working. Hurray!

askomsky is offline DUH!!!!! Smack myself upside the head

Careful or I'm going to beat your booty with a wet noodle until I drive you insane!

Gay you are my hero! lol I'm so glad I read this thread the day you posted it. I had to go back to the desktop bc the laptop is fried and I Had some issues with getting survey's etc (back in Nov) so I switched to the laptop. Now that it wasn't working anymore I came back to the desktop. Everything would work but a few (Tricia informed me commission junction) sites. I couldn't get to shoebuy, newegg etc.

This trick (no# 1) worked!

I did look into no#2 but that was a huge file in notepad and I didn't have the patience to go through the whole list!

Thanks again!
    Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by askomsky View Post
    Gay you are my hero! lol I'm so glad I read this thread the day you posted it. I had to go back to the desktop bc the laptop is fried and I Had some issues with getting survey's etc (back in Nov) so I switched to the laptop. Now that it wasn't working anymore I came back to the desktop. Everything would work but a few (Tricia informed me commission junction) sites. I couldn't get to shoebuy, newegg etc.

I did look into no#2 but that was a huge file in notepad and I didn't have the patience to go through the whole list!

Thanks again!
    Yea!! I'm so glad that it worked. And of all of the sites listed in her number 2 solution, 80% of them are Commission Junction links. So that would make sense why those were not working for you.
    Tricia
    Sunshine Rewards Owner

Visit our sister sites!
    Helping Moms Connect|Buy Twilight Stuff|
    Percy Jackson Stuff|Hunger Games Fan
    Love the Smurfs

Oh Oh Oh, I just saw this. I cannot wait to get home a try it out!!!!!

Got to go to the airport tonight to pick up DS. But as soon as I can, I am going to give this a try.

Laura
    Disney Myspace GraphicsSunshine Rewards

arob414 is offline Was able to finally get home and get in a quickie

And, everywhere I go, tonight, people are snapping and beating or banging or something and I am lost.

Quote Originally Posted by askomsky View Post

Thanks again!
    Thank you! I only hope if and when this happens, again, I remember how I fixed it. I try to make notes when I fix something, but I can't always find them. Somewhere down the line, I am going to buy new laptops from Dell and I want the shopping credits.

THANK YOU!!!!

It worked. I have had this problem since I joined SR last August. Now I can shop when I want and not have to figure out when and where I can get to a computer that will work for me.

Laura
    Disney Myspace GraphicsSunshine Rewards

kimntrent is offline How fun this was. I loved it. Can we do it again some time?

i think I am dense. When you are in system 32 and you click on host my pops up a black screen. I change that name?

askomsky is offline DUH!!!!! Smack myself upside the head

Careful or I'm going to beat your booty with a wet noodle until I drive you insane!

Quote Originally Posted by kimntrent View Post
    i think I am dense. When you are in system 32 and you click on host my pops up a black screen. I change that name?
    Are you on Windows XP? It makes a difference what system your on.
    I have XP so I went to system 32 --> drivers --> etc--> and the host file was in there. It depends on what operating system your on.

you don't need to open the host file, right click the file and select rename, then just add the .bak to the end of it.
    Last edited by askomsky; 06-28-2008 at 08:45 AM. Reason: finished reading the post...
    Sunshine Rewards